Thursday, August 11, 2011

Should I tell my finance I won't live with her just to please my parents?

We're both 30 and moving to take jobs in a foreign country for a couple years. We'll be getting married afterward, near home so that both our families can attend. In the meantime, my fiance and I want to live together to save money, have a car in the same place, and give each other company and support as we live in a place with a very different culture, etc. I fully expect my overbearing parents (who are not religious, but very "traditional") to freak out when I tell them our plans, maybe stop talking to me, and constantly express disapproval and disappointment. That's going to be hard for me, since I want their approval... but I need to balance that against what's best for my future wife and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment